Wednesday 11 April 2018

What is Federalism?.. or what if westminster had a franchise?

Hi www

Labour have advocated Federalization of Scotland for.. over 60 years, but what is that??
please excuse me, if I skip or don't know the many intricacies of this complex topic, I am not lawyer, but the fundamentals seem clear.

It's a franchise government, styled on Westminster, all internal matters are governed by the internal body, all external matters governed by the ruling body. Flippantly put.. in it's essence 'we can overrule you if we don't like it'  That's not actually true.. close but there is a HUGE amount of red tape to overturn a federal government's decree.

In other words.. its *something* like what we have now, Labour say the federalization will increase Scotland's internal power, I'm not as convinced. Sure under federalization this removes the House of Lords.. but again leaves us at the mercy of Westminster. Meaning when Labour is in government in Westminster (or any party) they can skew voting against the SNP by changing the rules of election. This is undemocratic, but as we know in the UK the slant between Scotland and England's population is so imbalanced that Scotland *cannot* out vote this other constituent country of the UK, nor can Wales or Northern Ireland.

Not all is evil and black for Federalization.. it would mean Scotland gets to control our oil/resources from our own elected government. But we will never get access to immigration policies, which is a future proposal of the SNP to gain control over immigration, which I wholeheartedly support; seeing that the Tories won't let my long term fiancee, Ruthy, in the country. I would enjoy knowing it was a SNP civil servant behind the desk taking our case, and being sure we weren't be refused because I am Scottish. Flip.. if I wasn't disabled I would volunteer myself as a Scottish Consulate to the Philippines. I digress..

Federalization by design is MEANT to readdress the voting imbalance of the constituent countries of the UK, but by giving Westminster a controlling stake in how Scotland operates externally we might never see the benefits of such a system.

I hope you've found these thoughts enlightening.

Dava

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Aren't Aussies Making Hydrogen?.. They Should!

 Hi So recently I have been thinking about Australia.. Firstly, enough sunshine falls on 'The Bush' desert in one day to power the p...